ST. CHARLES TOWNSHIP –A former St. Charles man who pleaded guilty to felony aggravated assault of a police officer last year, now risks going to prison on charges he violated the terms of his probation, court records show.

Christopher C. Kemble Jr., 22, now of the 900 block of Bode Road, Elgin, was sentenced to 2 1/2 years probation in a plea agreement for his role in a May 2018 encounter with police in which he made a false 911 call, pointed something at officers that appeared to be a handgun and was shot by police as a result, records show.

Moments later, someone else called 911 to report that Kemble had his father’s gun and might be suicidal, according to a news release at the time.

During the investigation police learned that Kemble prior to the incident had recorded a video in which he stated, "I'm either going to the hospital right now or I'm going to get shot by the cops," according to a news release at the time.

The Kane County State's Attorney's Office announced later that the Illinois State Police determined the St. Charles officers involved in the shooting were justified.

Kemble’s 30 months of probation are to end on April 16, 2022, records show.

Terms included that he continue mental health treatment, follow all recommendations, take all prescribed medication and not violate any laws, records show.

A hearing on the probation violation is scheduled for Nov. 9.

Kemble was charged Aug. 3 with with driving under the influence, driving with a blood alcohol content greater than 0.08%, squealing tires, driving without insurance and a misdemeanor charge of resisting a police officer, court records show.

The new charges stem from an incident on July 28 in which Sugar Grove police stopped Kemble, who was driving a tan 2009 Ford in the 400 block of Sugar Grove Parkway, according to court records.

The charging documents state that Kemble “became irate, became tense as I attempted to put handcuffs on him, pulled away from me, (and two other officers) attempted to get away to defeat (the) arrest ... he was eventually taken down to the ground in order to control Christopher from actively resisting.”

Records show that Kemble represented himself in an Oct. 15 court appearance, and showed that he had insurance, so that charge was dropped.

He was told to return on Dec. 8 with an attorney, court records show.

Kemble’s attorney, Brick Van Der Snick, said his client has mental health and addiction issues and should not go to prison.

Van Der Snick said he also did not like the agreement with prosecutors, in which his client had to plead guilty to a felony.

“He’s a good kid. He should have been in Treatment Alternative Court – that is where he belonged – but the court would not agree to put him there. That is my feeling," Van Der Snick said. “Chris has fallen in the cracks in the system that does not recognize his issues."

You have used all of your free pageviews.
Please subscribe to access more content.
Dismiss
Please register to access this content.
To continue viewing the content you love, please sign in or create a new account
Dismiss
Support the work of local journalists.
GET UNLIMITED DIGITAL ACCESS
Cancel anytime
Already have a Shaw Media Illinois account/subscription?
Sign In | Learn More